Monday, October 16, 2017

Border Police

Someone driving an expensive Mercedes came to the border. The border police suspected contraband and asked him to open the baggage compartment. All they found were buckets of soil.
"What’s this?" they asked him.
"I’m building a new home, and the earth I need for building is cheaper in the other country. So I go there and fill up buckets with sand…" They didn’t believe him. It was strange that one would import soil, just to save a few pennies. So they sifted through the earth hoping to find diamonds but they didn’t find anything, and they let him pass. The following day, he drove his Mercedes to the border, once again. The border patrol sifted through the soil, didn’t find anything and let him on his way. This happened every day for months. After a while, they stopped sifting through the earth, because they saw that there was nothing there.
One day, he came to the border and told the guards that he wouldn’t be coming anymore. "I finished building my house, so there's no reason for me to import anymore earth." They asked him, "Tell us the truth: were you just importing earth all this time? It doesn’t make sense that you would go through all this effort, just because the earth is a few pennies cheaper." He replied, "I'll tell you if you promise that you won’t arrest me and that you won't report me to the government." They promised. He said, "Fools, the soil was just a coy. I was importing Mercedes cars. Every day, I drove a new Mercedes …" 
The moral of the story is that there are lots of things that can distract us from the primary focus of life. Let's not get side-tracked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment